Compost Bins and Collectors Available at District Transfer StationNews: May 08, 2015
Stop by the District Transfer Station to pick up a Soilsaver compost bin and a “Sure-Close” kitchen collector, and start composting at home! Turn food scraps and yard waste into rich, organic food for your garden. Food and yard waste combined represent about 25% of our waste. By composting these materials at home, we can save money while keeping waste out of landfills! Composting benefits everyone by reducing waste and helping summer vegetable and flower gardens flourish.
The Soilsaver is just $45, and when disassembled fits neatly into any vehicle. The handy “Sure-Close” kitchen collector is just $5.
The District Transfer Station is located at 1223 Route 7 South, in Middlebury, just south of the U.S. Forest Service Ranger Station. Hours are Mon-Fri, 7 am to 3 pm, and Sat, 8 am to 1 pm.
The Soilsaver ($45)
- 28″w x 28″d x 32″h
- Holds 11.4 cubic feet
- Made from sturdy recycled plastic
- Retains heat and moisture better than an open pile
- Keeps most animals out
- Removable convenient locking and self-watering lid
- Two slide-up doors for removal of compost
- Easy assembly
The “Sure-Close” kitchen collector (ONLY $5!)
- Durable, dishwasher-safe, and easy to clean
- Lid opens and latches closed easily with one hand
- Lid locks in open position for easier filling
- Lid perforations allow venting but stop insects
- Ergonomic handle and back grip for easy use
- Wide opening allows easy scraping of plates