Reduce Food Waste
Did you know that the U.S food waste accounts for:
- 25% of all our fresh water use!
- Enough energy to power the country for more than a week!
- Enough land to feed the world’s hungry twice over!
Wasting food means not only money down the drain, but all the energy, land, water, fertilizers and other inputs needed to grow and distribute that food in the first place. Food is wasted when we:
- Buy more than we need
- Store it incorrectly
- Throw away leftovers
- Cook too much
Everyday we are surrounded by opportunities to reduce our food waste. Join us in efforts to lower your grocery bills and environmental footprint by reducing your food waste.
What can you do?
Follow these simple and informative “smart strategies” and other useful tips to help reduce your food waste at home! By making small shifts in how we shop, store and prepare food, we can keep the valuable resources used to produce and distribute food from going to waste.
- Make a shopping list with meals in mind Download a “smart strategy” shopping list tool here.
- Eat older stuff first Download a useful “Eat Me First” prompt to place next to food items in your fridge as a reminder.
- Buy less at a time. Patrol your pantry and think about how much food you’ll need for one or two weeks. This could help prevent you from purchasing too much food.
- Keep fruits and vegetables fresh Take a look at this fruit and vegetable storage guide.
- Become storage savvy Download this A-Z storage guide link and post it on your fridge for easy viewing. Also, download and print out our Fridge Organization Guide!
- Love your leftovers! Here’s a great leftover recipe guide.
- Create your own compost bin – more info here.
- Track your trash.
Below are a few great resources for helping you keep your food waste generation in check!
- Some useful mobile apps and web based tools for food waste reduction
- Helpful tips on how to reduce your food waste.
- Ten Steps for Preventing Wasted Food
- Ideas for Food Waste Reduction
- Top Tips on Reducing Food Waste
- Food Waste Reduction Toolkit
- Tips on Properly Freezing Food
- More Useful Tips for Freezing Food