Waste Reduction & Management Support for Schools
Presentations & Tours
ACSWMD offers a variety of classroom presentations about waste reduction, composting, recycling, and Vermont's Universal Recycling Law (Act 148) that are dynamic and educational. School groups are also welcome to tour the District Transfer Station to learn just where everything thrown away is going! Contact us to schedule a presentation or tour. Programs are free to all schools within the Addison County Solid Waste Management District.
Grants for schools are available through ACSWMD for:
- The start up of a new school recycling, composting or reuse project.
- Capital improvements to or expansion of existing school recycling, composting or reuse projects.
- Feasibility studies on how to comply with the diversion mandates of Vermont's Act 148.
- The purchase of equipment, bins or containers needed to comply with the diversion mandates of Act 148.
Examples projects or capital improvements: bulk milk dispensers, refrigerators for sharing unopened milk, waste sorting stations, water bottle filling stations, on-site composting, and more!
K-12 public and non-profit schools that are within the Addison County Solid Waste District are eligible for grants from ACSWMD, with a 25% match required from the school. View the grant application in its entirety to learn more.
These schools have taken advantage of ACSWMD school grants to reduce waste:
- Addison Central School District
- Bridge School
- Leicester Central School
- Mary Hogan Elementary School
- Middlebury Union High School
- Middlebury Union Middle School
- Monkton Central School
- Mount Abraham Union Middle/High School
- Orwell Village School
- Shoreham Elementary School
- Vergennes Union High School
Join these schools today! Contact us for more information or download the application below.
Our outreach staff are available to consult with schools about waste reduction and diversion, composting, hazardous waste disposal, compliance with Vermont's Universal Recycling Law, and more. All consultation services, including waste audits, are free for schools. Contact us to get started.