Some types of this item are banned from disposal in the trash in Vermont. For more information, see below.
All banned electronic devices as well as small electronic waste and accessories are accepted at the District Transfer Station for special electronics recycling. Free collection is provided for some of the banned devices (computers, monitors, computer peripherals, printers, and TVs) for covered entities.*
The following electronic items are banned from the landfill:
- computer peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.)
- computer monitors
- PDAs, MP3 players (& other personal e-devices)
- electronic game consoles
- fax machines
- wireless phones
- answering machines
- DVD players
- digital converter boxes
- stereo equipment
- E-device power cords & chargers
*Covered entities: consumers, charities, school districts, and small businesses that employ 10 or fewer individuals. Other individuals who bring in seven (7) or fewer devices can also recycle these devices at no charge.
Small electronic waste and accessories may also be recycled in our electronics recycling program! This includes our "Mixed Bag"recycling option. Drop off a grocery-sized bag of unwanted "technotrash," including software, computer chips, disks, miscellaneous parts, adaptors, cords, cables, CDs/DVDs, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, digital cameras, etc. for a flat fee.
Items where ‟or no charge” is indicated may be covered by Vermont E-Waste Law — No charge for households, 501(c)(3) charities, school districts, small businesses (10 or fewer employees) OR 7 or fewer covered items per visit.
- Large items or quantities charged by weight at the discretion of the scalehouse operator: $0.23 per lb.
- Computers, whole systems (includes everything): $11 each (or no charge)
- Computers, by piece (monitor or CPU or printer): $6 per piece (or no charge)
- Televisions (regular size): $7 each (or no charge)
- Televisions (console size): $15 each (or no charge)
- Desktop Photocopier: $11 per piece
- Small Electronics (Fax, VCR, DVD/CD, Stereo, Telephones, etc.): $2.50 per piece
- Mixed Bag (cords, adapters, CDs, tapes, cassettes, DVDs, chips, cards - grocery bag size): $5 per bag