Books that have resale value may be donated to a variety of local non-profit organizations that sponsor periodic sales. You may also consider donating books in good condition to your local library or school for reuse. Below is a list of local book resellers that accept books for resale (call ahead to determine what is accepted). Also consider purchasing used books to save resources and support the local economy!
- Hope Resale Store, Middlebury, (802) 388-2522
- Monroe Street Books, Middlebury (802) 398-2200
- Otter Creek Used Books, Middlebury (802) 388-3241
- Recycled Reading of Vermont, Bristol (802) 453-5982
- Sandy’s Books and Bakery, Rochester (802) 767-4258
- Book Sales in Vermont (Online listing of sales around the state)
Hardcover and softcover books that are clean and dry may also be brought to the District Transfer Station for reuse or recycling. Please call us at (802) 388-2333 before bringing large quantities. If books are placed in our book bin, they are recycled for their paper content. If your books are valuable, you can put them in our household reuse shed for others to take. Please do not bring magazines, brochures, periodicals, flyers, or catalogs; these items should be placed directly in your blue bin for recycling. All paperback books (clean, dry, and preferably without reuse potential) are also recyclable and can be placed directly in your blue bin and picked up with the rest of your curbside recycling. Do not put hardcover books directly in with your blue-bin recycling, unless you can remove the hardcover. The hardcover is trash while the inner pages can go in with your blue bin recyclables.
Hard and soft cover
- Residential: $1 per load
- Business: $5 per load
For items accepted at the discretion of the scalehouse operator
- Per Visit: Dropping off (50 lbs or less) or Just Visiting Admin Fee: $1 per visit
- Household goods weighing more than 50 lbs: $4 each