Clothing & Textiles
Clothing and textiles are accepted at the District Transfer Station for special recycling and at some second-hand stores —not in your blue bin! Clothing and textiles must be CLEAN, DRY, ODORLESS, and placed in a plastic, sealable/tieable bag before drop off. Clothes can be ripped, stained, dyed, or have broken zippers/missing buttons, however, badly soiled, damp, or moldy textiles MUST be thrown away with regular trash.
These textile items are accepted at the District Transfer Station if they are CLEAN, DRY, and ODORLESS:
- Tops (t-shirt, blouses, shirts, tank tops)
- Outerwear (coats, jackets, blazers)
- Bottoms (pants, slacks, jeans, sweatpants, skirts, shorts)
- Baby/Children's clothing
- FOOTWEAR (IN PAIRS ONLY)
- Flip Flops
- Boots (all varieties)
- Bags (pocketbooks, backpacks, duffle bags, totes)
If your items are in good condition, it is strongly recommended that you take them to your local second-hand stores. See below for a list of second-hand stores in Addison County where you can purchase and/or take used items. Towels, blankets, and fleece can also be donated to your local animal shelters. Please call ahead to make sure they accept donations.
- Buy Again Alley
- 60 Main Street, Middlebury
- Accepts clothing for young adults.
- Call (802) 989-8934 for details.
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/buyagainalley/
- 211 Maple Street, Middlebury
- Accepts maternity and children’s clothing & shoes. No blankets. No rips or stains.
- Call (802) 388-1055 for details.
- Website: https://junebugvt.org
- Neat Repeats
- 1428 Route 7 South, Middlebury
- Accepts seasonal clothing and smaller household goods. Adult clothing only (no children's clothes).
- Clothing must be in GOOD condition and saleable as-is. Call (802) 388-4488 for details and additional donation guidelines.
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/Neat-Repeats-1651309838441365/
- HOPE (Helping Overcome Poverty's Effects)
- 282 Boardman Street, Middlebury
- Accepts furniture, household goods, and more, as well as clean, dry paired shoes, clothing and other textiles for local resale. No tears, stains, holes, missing buttons or zippers.
- Call (802) 388-2252 for details.
- Website: www.hope-vt.org/resale-store/
- Round Robin Upscale Resale Shop
- Marbleworks, Maple Street, Middlebury
- Accepts clothing and smaller household goods.
- Call (802) 388-6396 for details.
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/RoundRobinUpscaleResale/
- Simon Says
- 12 Main Street, Bristol
- Accepts kids clothing newborn to age 12. Clothes, shoes and boots only!
- Call (802) 453-6945 for details.
- Website: www.simonsaysvt.com
- St. Peter's Resale Closet Shop
- 85 Maple Street, Vergennes
- Accepts clean and in good condition clothing, household goods, books, toys and puzzles.
- Email questions to myclosettoyours21@ gmail.com
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/stpetersresale
- Your Turn Resale Shoppe
- 151 Main Street, Vergennes
- Accepts clothing, household goods and small amounts of books.
- Call (802) 877-3915 for details.
- Facebook page: www.facebook.com/yourturnresaleshoppe
- Homeward Bound Addison County's Humane Society
- 236 Boardman Street, Middlebury
- Accepts blankets, towels, and fleece. No Quilts, comforters, or pillows.
- Call (802) 388-1100 for details.
- Website: https://www.homewardboundanimals.org/
- Must be clean, dry, and in bags
- No Charge
Search the A to Z Guide and find out what to do with hundreds of items.