Main content

Aerosol Cans

Some types of this item cannot go in the trash in District towns per District Ordinance

Disposal Options

Empty aerosol cans that contained non-hazardous materials such as food or hygiene products may be recycled at drop-offs in all District member towns, and by all haulers offering curbside recycling in Addison County. Make sure the can is completely empty, remove the cap, and recycle it along with other bottles and cans.

Aerosol cans that contain hazardous materials such as paint or toxics (e.g. poisons, cleaners) cannot go in the trash and must be brought to the HazWaste Center at the District Transfer Station. Empty aersol cans that contained hazardous materials can go in the trash. 


The fee associated with your town drop-off or curbside collection service applies for this item.

Hazardous Waste

  • Residential (including all paint): No Charge
  • Business, VSQG (including all paint) Must schedule appointment date/time: Actual Cost + $5 Fee (Under Vermont Paint Law — No charge for architectural paint. The $5-per-visit admin fee will be waived on paint-only loads.)


Search the A to Z Guide and find out what to do with hundreds of items.