Main content


Some types of this item cannot go in the trash in District towns per District Ordinance

Disposal Options

Nicotine products such as e-cigarettes, unused nicotine patches, lozenges, gum, inhalers, sprays, cartridges or refills must be separated from the trash per District Ordinance and are accepted at the HazWaste Center at the District Transfer Station. 

Hazardous waste includes any unused product that is poisonous, reactive, corrosive, or flammable. You can easily identify hazardous products by reading packaging labels: look for key words such as Warning! Danger! Poison! Caution! Improper disposal of these products is illegal and poses a risk to human health and the environment. Do not pour hazardous waste down the drain or discard it with regular household trash. Water treatment plants and septic systems are not designed to contain or remove these chemicals.


Hazardous Waste

  • Residential (including all paint): No Charge
  • Business, CEG (including all paint) Must schedule appointment date/time: Actual Cost + $5 Fee (Under Vermont Paint Law — No charge for architectural paint. The $5-per-visit admin fee will be waived on paint-only loads.)


Search the A to Z Guide and find out what to do with hundreds of items.