Main content


This item is banned from disposal in the trash in Vermont and must be recycled with blue-bin recycling.  

Disposal Options

All uncoated paper, including printer paper, newspaper, magazines, cardstock, paperback books, brown paper, phone books, junk mail, and envelopes must be recycled in your blue bin. Shredded papergreeting cardswrapping paper, and sticky notes may be recyclable if they meet certain criteria.

Paper with wax, plastic, or foil coatings is not recyclable and should be disposed of as trash. Food- or liquid-contact paper such as paper plates or cups and juice or milk cartons are coated and are not recyclable. If a paper item appears to be coated with plastic or foil, check by pinching the edge of the paper and pulling it apart slightly. If it stretches, or if you see a plastic or foil layer appear, then it belongs in the trash.

The 2-inch Rule

Paper items that are not at least two inches in at least two different directions can fall through the machinery in the Materials Recovery Facility. To get smaller scraps of paper through the recycling process place them in a paper envelope that is at least 2 inches in two directions. Otherwise, paper that does not meet the 2-inch rule should be disposed of in the trash.


The fee associated with your town drop-off or curbside collection service applies for this item.


  • Single Stream Recyclables from Commercial Haulers: $125 per ton
  • Single Stream self-hauled from Businesses, 1 cubic yard or less: $10 per load
  • Single Stream self-hauled from Businesses greater than 1 cubic yard: $125 per ton


Search the A to Z Guide and find out what to do with hundreds of items.