Some types of this item cannot go in the trash in District towns per District Ordinance.
Scrap metal is accepted for recycling at the District Transfer Station. Metal items larger than one cubic foot or greater than 25 pounds must be separated from the trash per District Ordinance. Common scrap metal items are bicycles, desks, filing cabinets, barbecue grills, lawn furniture, lawn mowers or car parts (drained of ALL fluids), doors, windows, screens (remove glass panes if possible), nails, nuts, bolts, siding or roofing material, and any item that is at least 80% metal. The type of metal is not important. Even electrical wiring contains metal that can be recycled and may be placed in the scrap metal bin.
Items prohibited from disposal as scrap metal include the following:
- Gas tanks, propane bottles, air bag canisters, or gas cylinders
- Any cans or containers holding oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, or other fluids
- Garbage, rags, paper, or other debris
- Fluorescent light ballasts, transformers, capacitors, or other materials that may contain PCBs
- Refrigerants, including but not limited to chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs). Refrigerants must be properly recovered, not vented.
- Any radioactive material or radioactive containment materials
- 55 gallon drums must have one end removed and contain no residual material
- No Charge