Some types of this item cannot go in the trash in District towns per District Ordinance.
Useable furniture in good condition may be accepted at local organizations or thrift stores such as HOPE or at the District's Reuse It or Lose It! program at the discretion of District staff. Furniture made of at least 80% metal is accepted as scrap metal at the District Transfer Station (metal items larger than one cubic foot or greater than 25 pounds must be separated from the trash per District Ordinance). Furniture made of treated or painted wood or synthetic materials is accepted as trash at the District Transfer Station. Furniture made of untreated, unpainted wood is accepted as clean wood at the District Transfer Station.
For items accepted at the discretion of the scalehouse operator
- Per Visit: Dropping off (50 lbs or less) or Just Visiting Admin Fee: $1 per visit
- Household goods weighing more than 50 lbs: $4 each
- Municipal solid waste (MSW), Construction & Demolition Debris: $126 per ton
- Minimum Fee - Minimum Load Size - ½ ton for MSW only: $63
- Minimum Fee - 100 lbs. or less - mixed debris: $7 per load