The Addison County Solid Waste Management District (ACSWMD) will hold a public hearing on its draft 2020 Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP) at its regular Board of Supervisors meeting on November 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM via Zoom. The purpose of the hearing will be to present and receive public comments on the ACSWMD’s 2020 SWIP as drafted on July 1, 2020 and preapproved by the VT Agency of Natural Resources. Contact Patti Johnson, Business Manager, at (802) 388-2333, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the Zoom meeting.
The SWIP addresses all aspects of solid waste management within the 21 member towns of the District. In addition to demonstrating that the solid waste management system is in conformance with the mandates of the new State Solid Waste Plan, the purpose of the SWIP is to incorporate the ACSWMD’s mission statement into its policies and plans by:
- Educating the public on the reduction and diversion of recyclables, leaf & yard debris, food scraps, clean wood, hazardous waste, textiles, and construction & demolition debris, as well as beneficial uses of biosolids;
- Working with schools and businesses to improve their waste diversion programs;
- Improving waste reduction at events and public spaces;
- Demonstrating how recyclables, organics, hazardous waste, textiles, construction & demolition debris, and biosolids are managed in the ACSWMD;
- Showing how the ACSWMD will implement variable rate pricing for trash and recyclables;
- Identifying criteria for siting solid waste facilities in member towns;
- Establishing procedures for including solid waste facilities in the SWIP;
- Listing the solid waste facilities and licensed commercial haulers that operate in the ACSWMD; and
- Outlining goals for the future.